A little long in the middle but a fun read

Keep Calm and Carry a Big Drink - Kim Gruenenfelder

Let me start off by saying that I LOVE Kim Gruenenfelder's book "A Total Waste of Makeup".  I also loved the follow up book which also included Charlie and all of her quirks and weirdness - "Misery Loves Cabernet".  Gruenenfelder's most recent novels focus on a new trio of friends and the trouble they get into, however, something is lacking for me.

"Keep Calm and Carry A Big Drink" follows Mel, Nic and Seema as they once again prepare for a wedding.  This time it's Seema who is tying the knot and the story is told from Mel's point of view.  Per chick lit tradition stuff goes wrong and much hilarity ensues. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy chick lit.  I enjoy funny romances.  I am as much of a chick as the next girl.  But this book simply felt too long.  So much time is spent on the relationship between Mel and Seema's brother Jay, that I kind of lost interest in the story.  Mel never felt fully fleshed out as a character to me, and maybe it's because I read "There's Cake in My Future",the predecessor to this novel, too long ago.  I don't know, but what I can say is that towards the end of the book I really didn't care if Mel wound up with her happily ever after or not.  It just felt too long and too drawn out.

I wanted to like the book a lot more than I ultimately did.  I guess I wanted to like it as much as I liked "A Total Waste of Makeup" and was disappointed that the newest book didn't quite live up to my expectations.  In the end it's a fun read with some funny scenes and a likable main character.